Skin check/ Mole mapping
The incidence of both melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer and keeps rising in recent years in all developed countries. Early detection is of utmost importance since skin cancer is curable if detected early enough. Melanoma can arise from inconspicuous moles or moles that have suddenly appeared.
- Are you a light skin type that reacts sensitively to sunlight?
- Do you have a particularly large number of moles?
- Do you have large congenital moles?
- Do you have atypical moles or moles that have recently changed?
- Did you get sunburns as a child or adolescent?
- Is there a history of skin cancer in your family?
- Did you already have skin cancer?
- Are you exposed to strong sunlight or UV rays at regular intervals?
- Newly developed moles
- Changes in color
- Changes in size
- Change in the surrounding area of moles, e.g. redness, white discoloration, welling
- Unusual sensations, e.g. itchiness, burning, foreign body sensation
- Bleeding moles
- Asymmetry (irregular shape)
- Borders (blurred, fringed, jagged)
- Color (irregular color)
- Diameter > 5 mm
- Elevation (uneven surface) or also Evolution (changes of the mole)
Dermoscopy is an essential tool for the early diagnosis of skin cancer, valuable in the hands of the experienced dermoscopy-trained dermatologist. Dermoscopy performed by experts results in enhanced accuracy of diagnosis, with increased sensitivity and specificity for the detection of early melanoma and other skin malignancies. Dermoscopy can be nowadays seen as the dermatologists’ stethoscope, increasing the physician’s confidence in the diagnostic approach of clinically uncertain lesions, thus reducing the number of unneeded skin biopsies.
In recent years dermoscopy has become increasingly useful also in the diagnostic approach of inflammatory skin disorders, the most recent development being the emerging method of Trichoscopy for the clinical evaluation without a biopsy of hair disorders.
Digital mole mapping (Fotofinder®)
For skin cancer detection and digital mole mapping we use the state-of-the-art Fotinder ® system. We help you monitor your moles, even in areas you are unable to see. Skin cancer prevention with Fotofinder® provides:
- Long-term storage and monitoring of each individual mole
- Regular check-ups will show even the slightest of changes at an early stage
- Algorithm based digital analysis for malignancy
- Avoidance of unnecessary surgery